Wellness & Rejuvenation
The four pursuits of life “Dharmaarthakaamamokshanam” are:
- Dharma- Righteousness, moral values
- Artha- Prosperity
- Kaama- Perpetuation of race
- Moksha- Liberation
For attainment of 4 Purushaarthas (Pursuits of life) the only mean is a healthy human body. Ayurveda has preached many principles in classical treatises for leading a healthy life.
Health, wellness and Rejuvenation are often considered as same by wide range of individuals. These words may commonly symbolize the physical state of an individual but their core intent differs from each other.
|HEALTH is a state of complete physical, mental and social well- being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.||WELLNESS is a multi-dimensional aspect but often defined as presence of Positive emotions and moods (contentment, happiness), absence of negative emotions (depression, anxiety), satisfaction with life, fulfillment and positive functioning. It is an active process of becoming aware of making choices towards a healthy and fulfilling life.|
Health and Well-being being multi dimensional depends on several factors like Physical, mental, social, spiritual, emotional, vocational, developmental and engagement in activities and work.
|WELLNESS is the act of practicing healthy habits on a daily basis to attain better physical and mental health outcomes.||REJUVENATION is the action or process of giving new energy or vigor to something.
Restoration of youthful appearance to something.
Objective components (standard of living, level of living) and subjective components (Quality of life) also act as indicators of positive health. For promoting Positive Health certain rules and activities are to be performed referred to as regimen of Day, Night, Seasonal, Ahara, and Vihara etc. along with Panchakarma therapies, Practice of yoga, Pranayama, Meditation etc. which increases positive dimensions of health.
We have pledged “we not only treat the individuals of physical and mental morbidities but also protect and prevent the healthy individuals from falling ill” which is the aim of Ayurveda and Maitri Ayurveda.
Health being overall wellness of physical body, mind and spirit. Therefore care should be taken for leading a positive life. According to Ayurveda, an individual should follow a health day, night and seasonal regimen to observe that he stays fit and free from naturally occurring abnormalities that may lead to fatal ones on progress in near future.
DAILY REGIMEN - A proper and disciplined daily regimen relieves us from many abnormalities which include:
- BRAHMA MUHURTA UTTESSTHA (Getting up in morning)- Ideal time is calculated as 04:24AM with reference to Ayurvedic texts as specified by Acharyas as one should wake up early in the morning around 48 to 96 minutes before sunrise.
- USHNAJALAPANAM (Drinking water) - Drinking one prasruti (768ml) of water at time of early sunrise makes free from many diseases
- MALATYAGA (Defecation) - Individual should attend to nature calls (Mala and Mutra).
- MUKHA PRAKSHALANA (Oral Hygiene) - Cleaning of teeth followed by face wash subsides bad odour from mouth, cleans teeth and tongue, Mukharoga and makes skin oily by removing dryness.
- ANJANA (Collyrium application to eyes)- Sauviranjana is good for eyes, if used daily eyes become beautiful and capable of increasing vision, brings lightness, prevents excess lacrimation.
- NASYA (Nasal instillation of medicated drugs) - The process of instillation of medicated drugs through nostrils is referred to as Nasya. Regular practice relieves us from diseases of organs above the shoulder like sense organs become active, bestows strength to lower jaw, prevents baldness etc.
- GANDUSHA AND KAVALA (GARGLING) - Mouth gargling with indicated liquid media with or without internal movement on regular terms reduces tastelessness, strengthens teeth.
- DHUMAPANA (MEDICATED SMOKE) - Inhalation of medicated fumes through mouth or nostrils and exhaling by mouth thrice with three puffs each time relieves diseases of vata and kapha predominance.
- NIGHT REGIMEN- Night regimen includes timely food intake and proper sleep. Diet (Ahara) and Sleep (Nidra) are considered as 2 sub- pillars in Trayopasthambha (3 Sub-pillars) of human body. Each of this are given highest importance as they are concerned with basic needs of the living Diet is main means of energy production and maintenance of living systems. Nidra provides complete relaxation to the body and mind there by restoring potentials of the individual. Food is referred to as ‘Mahabhaisajya’.
Food taken on time cause good effects on the body. Food served should be hot, comprise of all 6 tastes which on consumption gives satisfaction, strength, and complexion, improves memory and provides longevity.
Nidra or sleep is a state of mind in which it is not associated to any type of indriyas (Sense Organs). Proper sleep provides happiness, nourishment, strength, knowledge, virility and life vice-versa for improper sleep.
- SEASONAL REGIMEN- A year is divided in to 6 seasons in Ayurvedic texts by scholars. Strength and lusture of the individual is enhanced by following proper diet and regimen according to the season. Changes in diet, lifestyle should be processed according to climatic changes of the season to prevent the growth of any abnormality causing
Apart from these regimens regular practice of Vyayama (Exercise), Yoga, Meditation and following good social and personal conduct makes an individual to lead a healthy life.
Besides following healthy regimen some of Ayurvedic treatment procedures can be followed to naturally detoxify the body which provides a healthy internal environment to lead a happy life.
Head is given vital importance as it is the seat for all the sense organs and Brain. A variety of herapeutic procedures are followed to provide strength, pacify vitiated doshas, help in proper functioning of sense organs, provide sense of relief from stress and lowers the effect of Pysco-somatic disorders.
GUT health symbolizes the overall health of an individual. Un-hygienic eating habits like intake of junk foods, spicy foods, excess fatty foods, carbonated drinks etc., disturbs the digestive balance of the body there by hampering the overall health of an individual. So natural detoxifying techniques are to be followed for cleansing the harmful digestive biome for promoting positive health.
For continuation of lineage, a healthy progeny should be achieved which is possible though healthy reproductive system. Rutu (Time), Kshetra (Area of fertilization), Ambu(Nutrition) and Beeja (Sperm and Egg) are required for delivering of an offspring. Any defect in any one of these factors may lead to defective offspring. So purificatory measures plays a major role in caring the defects of reproductive system.
Motor and sensory capabilities are of highest evolutionary features in a human being. Undergoing special treatment protocols and purificatory measures in Ayurveda keeps motor activities and sensory actions active and alert.
Maitri Ayurveda focuses on overall wellness and health of individuals who thrive to lead a pleasant life. We provide all the classical Ayurvedic treatment and purificatory techniques to rejuvenate all the integral systems of human body making them free from physical and mental illness there by improving the multi-dimensional aspects of life.
MURDHINI TAILA- It consits of 4 different procedures. These procedures provide relaxation to the brain and the nervous system which in turn reduces the stress in the entire body.
- SHIRO- ABHYANGA- Application of oil on head followed by massage is popularly known as Shiro abhyanga.
- SHIRO- DHARA- Continous pouring of medicated liquid in a systematic manner over selected area is known as Dhara and performed on forehead or scalp using Dhara Yantra called as “Shirodhara”. The most common materials used are Oil, Buttermilk, and Triphala Kashaya etc.
- SHIRO PICHU- A small cotton piece or swab is dipped in the medicated oil and kept on the anterior frontanella is known as Shiro pichu.
- SHIRO BASTI- Scalp is filled with oil with a cap like structure around the head.
AKSHI TARPANA- Akshi Tarpana is the procedure for the nourishment of eyes. Medicated oil is poured over closed eyes to the level of eye lashes and allowed to settle over some time by constructing a wall around the eyes.
Seka, Aashchyotan, Pindi, Bidalaka, Anjana are also other procedures which help in providing strength to eyes, Pacify the vitiated dosas, treats major and minor ailments and aid in their proper functioning. These procedures are very much suitable to the professionals who have maximum screen time with the laptop, computers and mobiles.
KARNA POORANA-The procedure of filling oil/medicated liquid into ears for a stipulated time is known as Karna Poorana. Regular or if often practiced will clear problems of ear caused by vata, relieves the stiffness of neck and jaw, lowers difficulty of hearing. This helps in activating the body by reducing the lethargy.
NASYA, DHUMAPANA, GANDUSHA, KAVALA- These procedures are indicated for Nasal and Buccal cavities. Nasal discharges, Bad odour from mouth, Dental caries etc are effectively subsided these procedures.
- ABHYANGA(MASSAGE)-Abhyanga in general refers to massage of the Massage is performed with lukewarm oil in the direction of body hair according to dosa, season and condition in 7 positions in order of Sitting, Supine, Left Lateral, Prone, Right Lateral, Supine, Sitting with legs to the front.
|Sl.no||Type of Abhyanga||Material used||Performed on||Benefits|
|1.||Shirobhyanga||Oil||Shiras (Head)||Headache, Greying of hair, Hairfall, Strength to sense organs|
|2.||Padabhyanga||Oil||Feet||Removes dryness, stiffness, tiredness. Improves sleep and vision, Provides strength, smoothness to skin.|
|3.||Udvartana (Powder massagae)
||Powder of herbs Without oil With oil||Whole body||Skin cleansing, Improves blood circulation.|
|4.||Samvahana (Mild Massage)||Oil||Foot to waist||Enhances sleep, virility. Reduces tiredness.|
- SWEDANA- Steam bath is referred to as swedana . It is performed just after Abhyanga which helps in liquefying dosas accumulated after Steam bath is popular among many parts of world and referred by “ANCIENT ROMAN-SUDATORIUM” “HAMAM- TURKISH BATH” “RUSSIAN-BANJA”. It not only helps in relaxing and renewing energy but also promotes health and beauty.
Commonly followed are
- Nadi sweda- Individual is exposed to vapours through curved pipe connected to a pressure Curved pipe helps in preventing spillage of condensed drops coming out of pipe.
- Ushma sweda (Steam bath)- Sudation performed by exposing to vapours in a box.
VAMANA & VIRECHANA are not only treatment protocols in various diseases but are also effective natural detoxifying procedures eliminating the wastes from their roots. A properly administered and processed procedure relieves an individual from a large no of individuals like gastritis, skin diseases, obese conditions, allergies, metabolic issues etc.
PIZHICHIL-It is a rejuvenation treatment where the individual is applied with lukewarm herbal oil all over the body in rhythmic way continuously for 60 - 90mins in all conventional 7 massage positions for 7-10 days. It improves circulation, metabolism and restores health.
NABHI VASTI- It is also referred to as chakra basti/umbilical basti/ navel basti where a round shaped ring like structure of required measurements is prepared from dough of black gram flour and placed over umbilicus area in supine position and filled with lukewarm medicated oils there by strengthening power of digestion and facilitates release of deep seated emotions.
KIZHI- Kizhi is referred to as Poultice. The herbal drugs are densely packed in the poultice and heated in warm herbal oil throughout the procedure. It works beneficial in muscular cramps, swelling, diabetes and obese conditions.
RASAYANA/REJUVENATION - It is one of the eight specialties of Ayurveda that aims to preserve health or a medicine to prolong life or prevent ageing. Rasayana treatments are important in preservation of health and preventing diseases. In present days Anti-oxidant, Immunomodulatory and Anti-ageing therapies are considered as rasayana therapy. Rasayana therapy provides longevity, good memory, intellect, proper health and youthfulness thereby strengthening the immune system. Rasayana therapy is thereby considered as the process of rejuvenation.
Free radicals are the waste substances formed by body cells during food processing in the body. Failure in the expulsion of free radicals from body creates oxidative stress which harms cells and hampers body functions. Oxidative stress causes wide range of diseases related to heart, respiratory, nervous system, arthritis, stroke, cancer, inflammatory disorders etc. Antioxidants help in neutralizing free radicals and boosts overall health.
In Ayurveda, Agni or digestive fire helps in paka (digestion) of ingested food. Impaired Agni leads to improper digestion (improper oxidation) resulting in the formation of by product called as AMA. Ama is considered to be poisonous as it fluctuate normal body functions by interacting with dosa, dhatu and malas. Deepana, Pachana and Rasayana treatment modules are followed to treat conditions of Ama.
Human body is the receptor for physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of life. So for proper reception, A healthy body with sound and pleasant mind is required. Health is maintained and preserved by following and regularly practicing the habits which rejuvenates the body. Individuals who are habituated to healthy lifestyle and withdraw unhealthy habits are less prone to diseases.
According to Ayurveda, an individual is advised to follow all these measures to protect and prevent his health. In Maitri Ayurveda Special priority is given for wellness and rejuvenation treatment which is much required for the people with current diet and lifestyle habits.